PICkit2 PIC microcontroller USB ICSP Programmer
DescriptionMicrochip’s PICKit2 is much more comfortable, reliable, and powerful than the other programmers that we can find all over the... read more
Microchip’s PICKit2 is much more comfortable, reliable, and powerful than the other programmers that we can find all over the internet. It is a USB based ICSP (In-Circuit Serial Programming) programmer. Since it is the first release, Microchip published all the resources of PICKit2 public, which includes hardware schematics and all source code of the software used. Through this, anyone can add features, fix bugs, and modify source code.
Documents and other supporting files of PICKit2 are available at Microchip’s Website.
We have simplified the hardware schematics of PICKit2 by removing all unnecessary devices from it and ICSP to ZIF converter is also added for easier programming. The main differences between the modified PICKit2 and Original PICKit2 are:
1. ICSP to ZIF converter is added for easier programming, thus we can use ICSP or ZIF socket according to our needs.
2. It supports only 5V PIC’s, thus 3.3V devices a small additional circuit to convert 5V to 3.3V.
3. Two 24C512 EEPROM’s used only for programmer-to-go function in the Original PICKit2 were omitted. The Programmer-to-go function is not an important feature for an electronics hobbyist.
4. Bipolar transistors used in Original PICKit2 are replaced by MOSFETs, thus minimal additional components are required.
5. The mini USB connector is replaced by a commonly available USB-B connector.